Sunday 6 April 2014

Recipe: Barbecued Corn & Chorizo Salad

Woop Woop!  First Recipe up finally and I am so excited!!  And as you would have guessed from the title I made the Barbecued Corn and Chorizo Salad from www.taste.com.au. And it was a BIG success :)  I have never been that adventurous with salads; I usually just do a garden or Greek salad which is quick and easy.  But I really wanted to expand my repertoire.

Ingredients:

  •  4 corn cobs (with the husks & silk removed)
  • 2 chorizo sausages (approx 125g each) - slice these into 1.5 cm slices
  • 1 medium capsicum (finely chopped)
  • 1 medium avocado (chopped)
  • 100g baby roma tomatoes (I quartered cherry tomatoes instead)
  • 1/2 coriander leaves
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice 
  •  

Process:

STEP 1:
 Put the corn on a microwave-safe plate and cover with cling wrap.  Microwave on High (100%) for 4 minutes.



STEP 2:
Prepare all your ingredients as per list above (e.g.:  slice, chop, grind, etc... you get the point!)





STEP 3: 
Turn your BBQ onto medium heat, cooking corn for 8 - 10 minutes (turning every now and again).  Once browned let it cool on a plate while you cook the chorizo.  Cook the Chorizo for about 2 minutes until browned all over (turning this quite often)






STEP 4:
When the corn has cooled down a bit (should be ok once you have completed step 3) use a sharp knife to slice the kernels off the cob.






STEP 5:
Place all ingredients in your serving bowl, season with Salt & Pepper and toss to combine.




Review of Recipe:

I loved this recipe and will definitely make it again.  The flavours go together so well and I love the smokey flavour of the chorizo mixed with the sweet flavour of the corn and the kick of the capsicum and lime juice.  My husband doesn't like corn and he still ate this salad and really enjoyed it.  We ate this by itself for tea one night when we weren't very hungry and it really filled us up.  I can't wait to make it again!  Also the fact that it takes under 20 minutes to make is an added bonus!

(Notes: I didn't feel like going outside to cook on our bbq so just used our electric fry pan on medium heat.  I also didn't have coriander leaves so I ground seeds instead and it worked fine.  I also suggest putting the avocado in last as it can break up when you toss the salad.)


Let me know if you try this recipe or if you have any recipes that you think I should try!




No comments:

Post a Comment